Friday, August 19th, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Horse Pull Competitions Rules and Regulations
- Pull length is 15 feet, and sidelines are 20 feet
- Chairman of the pull will draw for order of pulls.
- No horse may compete on more than one team,
in respect of any pull.
- Each team to consist of no more than one teamster and two helpers. Only team members are
allowed in the area of the competition. Team
members may not be changed once first pull is
- For Light Weight Class, horses’ aggregate weight,
including shoes, halter and shank, not to exceed
3,400 pounds; Heavy Weight Class, horses’ aggregate weight in excess of 3,400 pounds. Only loose shanks are permitted.
- Teamster and helpers must remain behind the
double trees when pulling.
- Only teamster is allowed in the pull area. No
helper may lead team to boat or stand at heads
when horses are being hitch to boat.
- Upon entering the pull area, each team has two
minutes to hitch the horse(s) to the boat and four
minutes to complete the pull.
- If a horse enters pull area for the first time with
blinders, the binders must remain on for all pulls
and alternatively, if a horse enters the pull area
for the first time without blinders, no blinders
may be used during any pull.
- Teamster may either ride or walk, but if they
chose to ride, they must remain on boat for
- Teams allowed two attempts to complete pull,
but may forgo second attempt if first attempt is
- Any movement that is less than six inches will be
considered a “chuck” and not a pull. Movement of
six inches or more, will be considered a pull and
will start the timer.
- A maximum of five minutes is allowed during any
pull for harness or equipment repairs. Team has
the option of keeping distance gained prior to
repair or initiating the pull again from the start
line. If distance is kept, this will count as one (1)
- In the event of a tie of the top teams, such teams
will be given one pull until a single winning team
- Any team going outside of pull area during pull,
will be disqualified in respect of that pull.
- Any team determined by the judges to pose any
risk of danger to person or property, will be dis-
qualified from the competition.
- Any team exhibiting unsportsmanlike conduct at
any time, as determined by the judges, including,
without limitation, slashing or whipping any
horse, cursing or arguing, will be disqualified
from the competition.
- Any team who has a teamster or helper believed
to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or
who has consumed or has drugs or alcohol in
their possession, will be disqualified from the
competition and may be reported to the
- All horses are subject to drug testing, either
before, during or after the competition. Horses
testing positive for drugs or teams who refuse to
submit a horse for drug testing will be disqualified from the competition and will not be entitled
to participate in any horse pull competitions at
The Vankleek Hill Fair for a period of two years
following such disqualification.
- Any team who is disqualified from the competition for any reason, will forfeit their entry fee and
any prize money they might otherwise have
- Teams must provide proof of adequate and valid
insurance and a valid Coggins Test for each horse,
dated within the last six months, upon request on
the day of the competition.
- All decisions of the judges are final and may not
be appealed or contested.