RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Any person may become a member of the Society by paying to the Secretary or Treasurer the sum of $6.00 each year, but no person whose membership at the time is in arrears shall be entitled to vote or be elected to office, or to compete for prizes at the annual exhibition.
- All articles entered in the following classes, or under the following headings namely, Hay, Garden Vegetables, Fruits, Horticulture and Culinary Arts MUST BE THE PRODUCT, or the manufacture, as the case may be OF THE PARTY EXHIBITING and MUST BE THE PRODUCT OF THE YEAR IN WHICH THEY ARE EXHIBITED, and if required, THE EXHIBITORS MUST CERTIFY TO THESE FACTS. Grains & seeds may be of the previous year.
- No persons will be allowed to enter for competition more than one specimen in any one class unless additional article be of distinct named variety or patterns from the list. This rule not to apply to animals but to all kinds of Grains, Vegetables, Produce, Fruits, Flowers, Baking, Manufactured Articles, etc., to which individual specimen would necessarily be precisely similar to the first.
- All articles entered in the Homecraft, Miscellaneous and Photo Divisions must be the workmanship or the manufacture of the party exhibiting.
- Any person exhibiting animals, or articles not in accordance with the wording of the section in which entered or contrary to the By-laws and Regulations of the Society shall forfeit all prizes awarded to him or her, and if proved to have acted so knowingly, he or she shall be expelled from the Society.
- No person shall receive a premium for any articles or animal which, IN THE OPINION OF THE JUDGES IS NOT WORTHY OF IT. Discretionary premium may be awarded on the recommendation of the judges.
- All entries of animals or articles intended for competition must be made on the printed entry form accompanying the Prize List, then forwarded to those specified in each section of the prize list.
- NO PERSON SHALL BE PERMITTED IN THE HORSE OR CARRIAGE RINGS DURING THE TIME OF JUDGING – except judges, grooms, or persons in charge of the animals and directors or others in charge of the class.
- The Directors shall arbitrate and settle all disputes which may arise among the members, and their decision shall be final.
- Prizes awarded and not called for inside of three months after the annual exhibition will be forfeited and considered as a donation to the Society. Cheques must be cashed within 60 days.
- All articles intended for competition herein, shall be placed in the Exhibition Hall not later than 11:30 a.m. Thursday, and cannot be removed until 3:30 p.m. on Sunday. All exhibits must be removed before 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
- Any member interfering with the judges or using abusive or contemptuous language to any of them shall forfeit all prizes that he/she may otherwise have been entitled to.
- Every member receiving in premiums the sum of $6.00 or over, shall leave with the Treasurer his or her membership fee for the ensuing year, and the Treasurer shall deduct said membership fee when paying premiums to the exhibitors.
- An exhibitor making a protest must make it in writing, no longer than 10 days after the conclusion of the fair and it must be delivered to cause of complaint or appeal. It also must be accompanied by a deposit of $20.00, which sum shall be forfeited to the Society, if the protest is not sustained. A meeting of the Board of Directors subsequently called, and of which due notice shall be given to all parties interested, the protest shall be fully investigated and finally determined. The Board of Directors earnestly hope all exhibitors will not enter protests without grounds for doing so, as much annoyance and unpleasantness is often occasioned by protests of a frivolous nature.
- Every member of the Society, upon payment of his/her membership, will be entitled to all the privileges of membership; to exhibit at the Fair and attend and vote at the Annual Meeting. MEMBERSHIP DOES NOT INCLUDE GATE ADMISSION.
- All exhibitors are entitled to admission passes on the following basis:
HORSES: 1 or 2 animals = 1 day pass; each additional 2 animals = 1 day pass; entries in Heavy Hitch classes = 2 day passes per hitch.
CATTLE: 1 to 4 animals = 2 day passes; each additional 4 animals = 2 day passes, maximum of 10 day passes.
SHEEP: 1 to 8 animals = 1 day pass; each additional 8 animals = 1 day pass.
Exhibition Hall Entries (except Junior classes):
5 articles or more = 1 pass.
- In the event of the Society not having sufficient funds to pay the prizes in full, the directors reserve the right to adjust the necessary percentage as they see fit.
- The Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society accepts no responsibility whatsoever, expressed or implied, for any loss, accident, damage or injury to any person or animal on the grounds or in any building. In this respect all livestock exhibitors and any contestants should carry their own liability insurance.
- The Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society reserves the right to publish names of prize winners.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings on the fairgrounds.
- Alcohol Prohibited: Drinking of alcoholic beverages is prohibited anywhere on the fairgrounds, except in the licensed bar area. This rule will be strictly enforced. Sanctions may be applied.
SECTION 1 – HOLSTEIN CLASSES
- Best Bred and Owned – In each class, the best bred and owned animal will be recognized, whose breeder is the owner or co-owner of that animal. The breeder must be eligible to exhibit either as owner or co-owner at this show.
- Junior Champion & Reserve Junior Champion Females will be chosen from the top two placings of classes 1 to 6.
- Grand Champion & Reserve Champion Females will be chosen from the top two placings of classes 8 to 14.
- Beauty and Utility – The cow with the highest BCA, that placed in the top three of one of the senior classes. The exhibitor must show proof of the animal’s BCA by presenting a DHI record of production of a completed record for the cow.
SECTION 2: Ottawa Valley HEREFORD Show
Open to All Exhibitors
Beef Judging: Sunday, August 21, 2022, 1:00 p.m.
Entry Deadline: August 15, 2022.
- Bull, calf, born on or after January 1, 2022 (minimum of three months of age on day of judging).
- Bull, yearling, born between January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
- Senior Bull, born Jan. 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- Grand and Reserve Champion Bull – Ribbon Class
- Female, calf, born on or after January 1, 2020 (minimum of three months of age on day of judging).
- Female, Junior Heifer, born March 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
- Female, Senior Heifer, born January 1, 2021 to February 28, 2021.
- Female, born January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 with her own 2022 natural, purebred, tattooed calf at foot. Female and calf shown as a unit except that the calf is eligible to be shown as a single animal in classes 1 or 5 & 11& 12.
- Female, born prior to January 1, 2020 with her own 2021 natural, purebred, tattooed calf at foot. Female and calf shall be shown as a unit except that the calf is eligible to be shown as a single animal in classes 1 or 5 & 11 & 12.
10. Grand and Reserve Champion Female – Ribbon Class
Breeder’s Herd. A group of 4 animals, bred by the exhibitor, both sexes to be represented, at least one animal must be owned by the exhibitor. Animals must be shown in one of the previous classes. Limited to one entry per exhibitor
11. Get of Sire. A group of 3 animals from the same sire, both sexes to be represented and they must have been shown in the previous classes. At least one animal must be owned by the exhibitor. Limited to one entry per exhibitor.
13. Premier Exhibitor, ribbons only.
14. Premier Breeder, ribbons only.
Special Prizes: for Grand Champion Male & Female
in each breed, $200 each, donated by Kathy & Terry Conway
$50 Grand Champion Male
$50 Grand Champion Female
SECTION 3: BEEF SHOW PUREBRED SIMMENTAL
Rules and Regulations
a. Livestock Exhibitors must provide proof of $1,000,000 liability insurance or entries will be refused.
b. All general rules and regulations of the fair will apply.
c. Entries must be received by Friday August 12, 2022 by
• Emailed or mailed to Emily MacDuff, 2020 Concession 1, Chute-à-Blondeau, ON, K0B 1B0
• Visit www.assistexpo.ca/beefshow
d. All entries must be made on the special entry forms provided with this prize list.
e. In lieu of entry fees, 15% will be deducted from all prize money, if any.
f. Exhibitors’ passes will be available at the Fair office.
g. All exhibitors must sign the declaration of liability insurance form at the bottom of the Livestock Entry Form.
h. All animals exhibited must be registered and must be entered in the records of the applicable Breed Association in the name of the Exhibitor, except for Breeder’s Herd and Get of Sire classes.
i. Each animal will be checked against its pedigree and production records prior to entry into the ring.
j. A maximum of two (2) substitute animals will be permitted.
k. All animals to be exhibited must be on the grounds at least two hours before show time. Bedding and feed will not be provided stalls are free but cannot be held for an exhibitor.
Please be considerate of barn space. All Exhibitors must remain until the completion of the show.
a. Animals showing signs of contagious diseases or parasitic infections, e.g. ringworm, IBR, lice, etc., will not be allowed on the grounds. If a Veterinary check is required, it will be at the expense of the exhibitor and the veterinary ‘s decision is final.
b. The Judge may be asked to give reasons on the top 3 or 4 animals in each section.
ALL ANIMALS MUST HAVE RFID TAGS IN EARS,
PRIOR TO ARRIVAL.
Open Junior Showmanship Class:
• Juniors from Herford and Simmentals may participate
• Show to take place prior to open show 10am
• No entry fee
• All animals presented must be covered by liability insurance from the Farm or Exhibitor
Prize Money: Open Showmanship
Pee Wee 1st – $20. EOC – $10.
Novice 1st – $20 EOC – $10.
Junior 1st – $20. EOC – $10.
Intermediate 1st – $20 EOC – $10.
Senior 1st – $20 EOC – $10.
Champion Showman $50
Reserve Showman $25
- Pee Wee – 9 & Under (as of Jan.1, 2022)
- Novice – Ages 10-11 Years Old (as of Jan.1, 2022)
- Junior – Ages 12-14 Years Old (as of Jan. 1, 2022)
- Intermediate – Ages 15-17 Years Old (as of Jan. 1, 2022)
- Senior – Ages 18-21 Years Old (as of Jan. 1, 2022)
Prizes: 1st: $120, 2nd: $85, 3rd: $65, 4th: $40, 5th: $35, 6th: $30,
7th: $25, 8th: $20, 9th: $15, 10th to 15th: $10
- Bull calf Born after January 1st, 2022
- Bull, yearling Born January 1st, 2021 to December 31st, 2021
- Bull Born January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020
Simmental Grand Champion Bull
Simmental Reserve Grand Champion Bull
- Female calf Born after January 1st, 2022
- Heifer Born March 1st, 2021 to December 31st, 2021
- Heifer Born January 1st, 2021 to February 28th, 2021
- Female Born January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020 with her own 2022 natural tattooed calf at foot. Female and calf shall be shown as a unit except that the calf is eligible to be shown as a single animal in classes 1 and 4
- Female Born before January 1st, 2020 with her own 2022 natural tattooed calf at foot. Female and calf shall be shown as a unit (in cow/calf classes) except that the calf may show as
a single animal in the classes 1 and 4.
Simmental Grand Champion Female
Simmental Reserve Grand Champion Female
- Breeders’ Herd – group of 4 animals bred by the Exhibitor Both sexes to be represented and must have been shown in their previous classes. At least one animal must be owned by the exhibitor. Limited to one entry per exhibitor. Registration
papers to ringside.
- Get-of-Sire – group of 3 animals from the same Sire Both sexes to be represented and they must have been shown in the previous classes. At least one animal must be owned by the exhibitor. Limited to one entry per exhibitor. Name Get-of-Sire.
Simmental Premier Breeder
Simmental Premier Exhibitor