The object of the fair is to supplement and encourage junior activities as organized by 4-H Ontario. It is also to improve the educational value of the fair, and to develop new exhibitors for the future, by stimulating the interest of young people in the fair. We encourage exhibitors to follow the 4-H motto of “Learn to Do By Doing”.
Open 4-H Dairy Heifer Show
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. sharp
- This is an Open Junior Dairy Show for 4-H members only, organized by the directors of the Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society.
- Open to all members of organized 4-H Dairy Clubs in 2022
- Members must show their own 4-H calf or can borrow a calf for Showmanship only and only 4-H members are allowed to work on their calves.
- All 4-H heifers must have a plastic NLID (dairy) tag in order to be present on the Fairgrounds.
- All exhibitors and/or parents must sign the declaration found at the bottom of the 4-H entry form.
- All rules of the Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society apply.
- All rules and regulations for showing dairy cattle, found in the Purebred Cattle Division of the Prize List, MUST be followed for the 4-H Show.
- No entry fee will be charged to participate in this show.
- The 4-H Committee reserves the right to combine individual and championship classes when necessary.
- The DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS August 15th, 2022.
- Use the 4-H Heifer entry form in the centre of the prize list or entries will be accepted online via Assist Expo at www.assistexpo.ca/vkh4hshow
- We ask that all entry forms reach Amanda Cowan 1486 McPhee Road Vankleek Hill, Ont. K0B 1R0 Tel. 613-551-6383
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- 4-H Dairy members will not be charged admission to the fair on Friday, August 19th and Saturday, August 20th, 2022, if they present their 4-H membership card at the fair gate. If the exhibiting member happens to forget their card, the 4H members who have ENTERED BY THE DEADLINE will be put on a list that will be at the gate for your entry at no charge. Should an exhibiting member have any conflicts at the gate, please contact Amanda Cowan directly by phone.
- 4-H members and their calves can enter the east barn at 6:00 p.m., Friday, August 19th, 2022, to begin setting up their club exhibit.
- When the judge has chosen his dairy champions and the 4-H Show has concluded on the afternoon of Saturday, August 20th, 2022, this 4-H Event is considered to be finished.
CLASS 1 Novice Showmanship, for members 9-11 years of age as of January 1, 2022.
CLASS 2 Junior Showmanship for members 12-14 years of age as of January 1, 2022.
CLASS 3 Intermediate showmanship for members
15-17 years of age as of January 1, 2022
CLASS 4 Senior showmanship, for members
18-21 years of age as of January 1, 2022
CLASS 5 Holstein Junior Heifer, for calves born after
February 28, 2022.
CLASS 6 Holstein Intermediate Heifer, for calves born December 1st, 2021 to February 28, 2022
CLASS 7 Holstein Senior Heifer, for calves born
September 1, 2021 to November 30, 2021
CLASS 8 Holstein Summer Yearling, for calves born
June 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021
CLASS 9 Holstein Junior Yearling, for calves born
March 1, 2021 to May 31, 2021
CLASS 10 Ayrshire Junior, Intermediate & Senior Heifer, for calves born after November 30, 2021
CLASS 11 Ayrshire Junior and Summer Yearling,
for calves born March 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021
CLASS 12 Jersey Junior, Intermediate & Senior Heifer, for calves born after August 31, 2021
CLASS 13 Jersey Junior & Summer Yearling, for calves born March 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021
** Please note: the coloured breed classes are subject to change depending on the size of the class.
1st – $20; 2nd – $18; 3rd – $16; 4th – $14; 5th – $12; 6th – $10
All other worthy entries – $8.
SPECIAL PRIZES AND TROPHIES
- Grand Champion Showperson
- Reserve Champion Showperson
- Grand Champion Prescott County Showperson
- Grand Champion Holstein Heifer
- Reserve Champion Holstein Heifer
- Grand Champion Prescott County Holstein Heifer
- Grand Champion Coloured Breed Heifer
- Reserve Champion Coloured Breed Heifer
- Grand Champion Dairy Heifer
- Reserve Champion Dairy Heifer
Note: Championship classes for Coloured Breeds may be combined if low numbers warrant this decision.
TIE STALL COMPETITION
Open to all clubs in the dairy heifer competition on Saturday, August 20th, 2022. To be eligible, the club exhibit must have a minimum of five calves. Exhibits will be judged throughout the day of the show for appearance of exhibit and attitudes of participants.
1st – $30; 2nd – $20; 3rd – $10.
“Learn To Do By Doing”