Purebred Cattle Division
Rules & Regulations
1. All general rules and regulations of the fair will apply.
2. Holstein entries should be sent to Amanda Cowan PO Box 227,Vankleek Hill, ON K0B 1R0 by August 12, 2016. Tel. 613-551-6383 /Fax. 613-675-1804. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Beef entries should be sent to the Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society, Box 749, Vankleek Hill, Ont. K0B 1R0 by August 12, 2016. Tel. 613-306-3864 / Fax. 613-674-5507 e-mail: email@example.com
4. All cattle entries should be made on the entry form provided for livestock. Exhibitors must give (1) name of animal, (2) date of birth, (3) registered number of entry, (4) tattoo or ear tag number, (5) name of sire.
5. All exhibitors must sign the declaration of liability insurance form at the bottom of the Livestock Entry Form.
6. All dairy exhibitors must sign the exhibitor form regarding compliance to the Rules and Regulations for Showing Dairy Cattle. (These rules and regulations can be found on the next
page). Agreement form to be signed can be found on reverse side of Livestock Entry Form.
7. All cattle exhibited must be registered on the records of applicable breed association, in the name of the exhibitor. No animal will be accepted without a registration certificate.
8. All cattle (dairy and beef) must have a plastic NLID tag in order to be exhibited. NO EXCEPTIONS.
9. Entry for both individual and groups is 15% of the prize money won and will be deducted by the treasurer.
10. Prize money: 1st – $60, 2nd – $50, 3rd – $45, 4th – $40, 5th – $35, 6th – $30, 7th – $25, 8th – $20, 9th – $15, 10th to 15th – $10.
11. A maximum of 2 substitutions of entries owned by the same exhibitor will be permitted, up to fair time.
12. All Holstein cattle must be on the grounds, not later than 9 a.m. Friday, and remain until 4 p.m. that day. Jersey and Ayrshire cattle should arrive by 9 a.m. on Saturday and remain until 4 p.m. on that day. No entry shall be removed earlier from the fairgrounds, unless permitted to do so, by the dairy cattle chairman.
13. Stalls are free but cannot be held for an exhibitor. Please be considerate of barn space.
14. The number of exhibits from a dairy breeding unit has been increased from 10 to 15 to allow 4-H animals to be shown in Open Classes. There are no restrictions on the number of entries in individual junior or senior classes.
15. Premier Exhibitor Award – An award is presented to the exhibitor / owner (individual, partnership or institution) having the highest number of points won in individual female classes by not more than 10 animals owned by the exhibitor. This does not limit the number of animals that may be shown.
In case of jointly-owned animals, joint ownership is considered as one exhibitor. No part of the points awarded, counts toward the individual score of any of the joint owners. In case of any ownership changes during the show, ownership at final placement within the class will be used to calculate points.
Points are awarded on the following basis:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Junior 10 9 8 7 6
Senior 20 18 16 14 12
16. Premier Breeder Award – An award presented to the breeder by prefix, having the highest number of points won in individual female classes by not more than 10 animals bred, but not necessarily owned, by the winner. Calculation of Premier Breeder is readily determined in all identified cases from Certificates of Registry either directly from the breeder section or in the case of a within-herd family transfer with alphanumeric code, by utilization of the animal’s prefix or from animals carrying the same prefix.
In the case of jointly-bred animals, a joint breeding unit may be counted as a separate group for the Premier Breeder points, if the breeders wish to. Notice must be given to the Holstein Field Rep. prior to the show, to prepare for proper calculations of the points.
If not, the points will be awarded to the exhibitor whose prefix is on the animal at the time of the show. In case of any ownership changes during the show, ownership at final placement within the class will be used to calculate points.
Points are awarded as for Premier Exhibitor.
17. Holstein Animals on Transfer – Animals are allowed to show on a signed transfer. The Holstein representative will remit the registration paper and transfer indicating ownership to Holstein Canada after the show.
18. Milking Yearlings in the dairy section will show in the Junior 2 year old class. Officials will record placings of the Milking Yearlings so that their Milking Yearling places may be eligible
for nomination purposes.
19. Drinking of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in all unlicensed areas which includes the barns and surrounding grounds. This rule will be strictly enforced. Sanctions may apply.
Herdsman Special For All Cattle Breeds
Exhibitors are encouraged to promote their farm and their cattle breed. The goal of this project is to enhance the look of the cattle exhibits while in the barns. As well, this is an opportunity to increase agricultural awareness of the general public, when they visit our cattle displays in the barns. With these goals in mind, there will be no prize for the best display. Herds are encouraged to create their display in keeping with the fair theme:
“Christmas at the Fair”
Holstein Cattle & 4-H Entries:
This year the Vankleek Hill Fair will be using AssistExpo for on-line entries. The AssistExpo software is used by agricultural shows to manage their entries. Use this site to make your entries; it’s simple, secure and quick to complete. To make your entries for this year’s fair, go to the following links:
HOLSTEIN SHOW: www.assistexpo.ca/
4H SHOW: www.assistexpo.ca/vkh4hshow