Horse Pull Competitions
Friday, August 19th, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
Rules and Regulations
1. Pull length is 15 feet, and sidelines are 20 feet apart.
2. Chairman of the pull will draw for order of pulls.
3. No horse may compete on more than one team, in respect of any pull.
4. Each team to consist of no more than one teamster and two helpers. Only team members are allowed in the area of the competition. Team members may not be changed once first pull is initiated.
5. For Light Weight Class, horses’ aggregate weight, including shoes, halter and shank, not to exceed 3,400 pounds; Heavy Weight Class, horses’ aggregate weight in excess of 3,400 pounds. Only loose shanks are permitted.
6. Teamster and helpers must remain behind the double trees when pulling.
7. Only teamster is allowed in the pull area. No helper may lead team to boat or stand at heads when horses are being hitch to boat.
8. Upon entering the pull area, each team has two minutes to hitch the horse(s) to the boat and four minutes to complete the pull.
9. If a horse enters pull area for the first time with blinders, the binders must remain on for all pulls and alternatively, if a horse enters the pull area for the first time without blinders, no blinders may be used during any pull.
10. Teamster may either ride or walk, but if they chose to ride, they must remain on boat for entire pull.
11. Teams allowed two attempts to complete pull, but may forgo second attempt if first attempt is successful.
12. Any movement that is less than six inches will be considered a “chuck” and not a pull. Movement of six inches or more, will be considered a pull and will start the timer.
13. A maximum of five minutes is allowed during any pull for harness or equipment repairs. Team has the option of keeping distance gained prior to repair or initiating the pull again from the start line. If distance is kept, this will count as one (1) pull.
14. In the event of a tie of the top teams, such teams will be given one pull until a single winning team is determined.
15. Any team going outside of pull area during pull, will be disqualified in respect of that pull.
16. Any team determined by the judges to pose any risk of danger to person or property, will be disqualified from the competition.
17. Any team exhibiting unsportsmanlike conduct at any time, as determined by the judges, including, without limitation, slashing or whipping any horse, cursing or arguing, will be disqualified from the competition.
18. Any team who has a teamster or helper believed to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or who has consumed or has drugs or alcohol in their possession, will be disqualified from the competition and may be reported to the authorities.
19. All horses are subject to drug testing, either before, during or after the competition. Horses testing positive for drugs or teams who refuse to submit a horse for drug testing will be disqualified from the competition and will not be entitled to participate in any horse pull competitions at The Vankleek Hill Fair for a period of two years following such disqualification.
20. Any team who is disqualified from the competition for any reason, will forfeit their entry fee and any prize money they might otherwise have earned.
21. Teams must provide proof of adequate and valid insurance and a valid Coggins Test for each horse, dated within the last six months, upon request on the day of the competition.
22. All decisions of the judges are final and may not be appealed or contested.