CULINARY ARTS DIVISION
Culinary Arts Exhibitor Tips:
- Previous day’s baking desired.
- Canned fruit and preserves must be sealed.
- Jellies and jams to be in small (250-500 mL) mason jars, no wax please.
- Exhibitors to cover baking with clear plastic bag, no plastic wrap please, except on cakes.
- Muffins, cookies and small cakes are exhibited on small disposable plates provided by the exhibitor.
- Mixes are allowed only where specified.
- Use only all purpose flour and remove all cakes from pans, and muffins from paper.
- Exhibitors of pies and cakes may leave one portion on display and take the remainder home Thursday 7 – 9 p.m. or Friday 9 -11 a.m. Please bring your own knife and a plate on which to leave the one portion.
- Exhibits must be removed between 3:30 and 4:30 on Sunday
Prizes in gift certificates: $10 for each 1st and 2nd in Baking Sections 106 – 125 generously donated by Asselin’s Your Independent Grocers (Hawkesbury). Third prize: $5.00 each.
- Loaf, white bread, no glaze
- 1 Loaf, 60% whole wheat bread
- Dinner rolls, white, 3
- Blueberry Muffins, 3
- Other Fruit Muffins, your choice, 3
- Lemon Loaf, half loaf shown
- Banana Loaf, half loaf shown
- Chocolate Brownies, 3, approx. 2″ square, with icing, no nuts
- Date Squares, 3 pieces
- Butter Tarts, 5, winner qualifies for District Competition
- Oatmeal cookies, 3
- Chocolate chip cookies, 3
- Peanut butter cookies, 3
- Raspberry Pie, double crust
- Rhubarb Pie, double crust
- Cupcakes, decorated on Farm Theme
- Chocolate cake (9”x9” or 8”x8”), iced, half cake shown
- Carrot Cake, square, no icing, half shown
- No Bake Cookies, 3
- Chocolate fudge, no nuts, 4 pieces, approx. 1″ squares
- Gluten free baked good, with recipe
CLASS: BOTTLED GOODS
Prizes in gift certificates: $10 for each 1st and 2nd in Bottled Goods Sections 126 – 143 generously donated by Asselin’s Your Independent Grocers (Hawkesbury). Third Prize: $5.00 each.
Exhibitor Tip: All jars – 250ml or 500ml (1/2 pint or pint)
- Jelly, your choice, labelled
- Apple Jelly
- Red Pepper Jelly
- Any type of relish
- Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, cooked
- No sugar jam, named
- Any other jam not listed, named
- Dill Pickles
- Bread & Butter Pickles
- Pickled Beets
- Pickled Eggs
- Pickled Beans
- Salsa – Mild
- Salsa – Spicy
- Any condiment not listed
- Any Pickled Vegetable not listed, provide name
CLASS: CULINARY SPECIALS
Prize Money: $7, $5, $3 – except where otherwise indicated.
- A SCENE FROM THE FARM – A plate/tray of food item(s) arranged to make a scene or picture or animal
- CELEBRATING FROM FARM TO PLATE – Display creatively on a tray, 5 food items celebrating Ontario Agriculture. Accessories accepted.
- PRESIDENT’S SPECIAL– Cake or cupcake on a “Fair Birthday” theme, on appropriate tray. Judged by Fair President, on appearance only
- CELEBRATING OUR HISTORY – Make the recipe below from the Vankleek Hill 2017 Celebration Cookbook produced by the Vankleek Hill Historical Society. Hand-written recipe below from Norma Sproule: