CULINARY ARTS DIVISION
Culinary Arts Exhibitor Tips:
- Previous day’s baking desired.
- Canned fruit and preserves must be sealed.
- Jellies and jams to be in small (250-500 mL) mason jars, no wax please.
- Exhibitors to cover baking with clear plastic bag, no plastic wrap please, except on cakes.
- Muffins, cookies and small cakes are exhibited on small disposable plates provided by the exhibitor.
- Mixes are allowed only where specified.
- Use only all purpose flour and remove all cakes from pans, and muffins from paper.
- Exhibitors of pies and cakes may leave one portion on display and take the remainder home Thursday 7 – 9 p.m. or Friday 9 -11 a.m. Please bring your own knife and a plate on which to leave the one portion.
- Exhibits must be removed between 3:30 and 4:30 on Sunday
Prizes in gift certificates: $10 for each 1st and 2nd in Baking Sections 106 – 125 generously donated by Laurin’s Your Independent Grocers (Hawkesbury). Third prize: $5.00 each.
- Loaf, white bread, no glaze
- 1 Loaf, 60% whole wheat bread, winner qualifies for District Competition
- Dinner rolls, white, 3
- Carrot Muffins, 3
- Other Fruit Muffins, your choice, 3
- Lemon Loaf, half loaf shown
- Banana Loaf, half loaf shown
- Chocolate Brownies, 3, approx. 2″ square, with icing, no nuts
- Butter Tart Squares, 3 pieces
- Fruit filled Tarts, 3
- Ginger snap cookies, 3
- Chocolate chip cookies, 3
- Apple Pie, double crust
- Sugar Pie
- Cookies decorated on Canadian theme, 5
- Chocolate cake (9”x9” or 8”x8”), iced, half cake shown
- No Bake Cookies, 3
- Maple fudge, no nuts, 4 pieces, approx. 1″ squares
- Cinnamon Buns, 3, iced
- Rolled Cake (Buche), iced, half shown
CLASS: BOTTLED GOODS
Prizes in gift certificates: $10 for each 1st and 2nd in Bottled Goods Sections 126 – 143 generously donated by Laurin’s Your Independent Grocers (Hawkesbury). Third Prize: $5.00 each.
Exhibitor Tip: All jars – 250ml or 500ml (1/2 pint or pint)
- Jelly, your choice, labeled
- Blueberry Jelly
- Red Pepper Jelly
- Bar-B-Que Sauce
- Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, cooked
- No sugar jam, named
- Any other jam, named
- Dill Pickles
- Bread & Butter Pickles
- Beet Pickles
- Pickled Eggs
- Green Cucumber Relish
- Pickled Beans
- Any condiment not listed
- Any Pickled Vegetable not listed, provide name
CLASS: CULINARY SPECIALS
Prize Money: $7, $5, $3 – except where otherwise indicated.
- Historical Recipe – Make a recipe from the Vankleek Hill 2017 Celebration Cookbook from the Vankleek Hill & District Historical Society – attach a copy of the recipe from the cook book and display in/on an old-style container. Judged on presentation & creativity.
- Canadian Maple Syrup – Display creatively on a tray, 5 ways of using maple syrup. Accessories accepted.
- Canada Cookin’ – A place setting displayed on a tray of your depiction of a traditional/typical Canadian meal. Accessories accepted.
- Family Feud – Two family members each bake the same item. (Choose either half cake, 5 cookies, or 5 pieces of squares). The two items are entered as a pair and the judge will decide the best cook in the family by placing a first and second for each pair.
Prize Money: $5 for all 1st places; $3 for all second places