4-H DAIRY COMPETITIONS
The object of the fair is to supplement and encourage junior activities as organized by 4-H Ontario. It is also to improve the educational value of the fair, and to develop new exhibitors for the future, by stimulating the interest of young people in the fair.
We encourage exhibitors to follow the 4-H motto of “Learn to Do By Doing”.
Open 4-H Dairy Heifer Show
Saturday, August 18, 2018, at 10:00 a.m. sharp
1.This is an Open Junior Dairy Show for 4-H members only, organized by the directors of the Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society.
2. Open to all members of organized 4-H Dairy Clubs in 2018
3. Members must show their own 4-H calf or can borrow a calf for Showmanship only and only 4-H members are allowed to work on their calves.
4. All 4-H heifers must have a plastic NLID (dairy) tag in order to be exhibited.
5. All exhibitors and/or parents must sign the declaration and insurance form found at the bottom of the 4-H entry form.
6. All rules of the Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society apply.
7. All rules and regulations for showing dairy cattle, found in the Purebred Cattle Division of the Prize List, MUST be followed for the 4-H Show.
8. No entry fee will be charged to participate in this show.
9. The 4-H Committee reserves the right to combine individual and championship classes when necessary.
10. The DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS August 11th, 2018.
11. Use the 4-H Heifer entry form in the center of the prize list or entries will be accepted online via Assist Expo at www.assistexpo.ca/vkh4hshow
12. It is MANDATORY that all registration forms reach
Amanda Cowan, Box 227, Vankleek Hill, Ont. K0B 1R0
Tel. 613-551-6383 / Fax 613-675-1804,
before the day of the show, or late fees may have to be charged.
- 13. 4-H Dairy members will not be charged admission to the fair on Friday, August 17th and Saturday, August 18th, 2018, if they present their 4-H membership card at the fair gate.
14. 4-H members and their calves can enter the east barn at 6:00 p.m., Friday, August 17th, 2018, to begin setting up their club exhibit.
When the judge has chosen his dairy champions and the 4-H Show has concluded on the afternoon of Saturday, August 18th, 2017, this 4-H Event is considered to be finished.
CLASS 1 Novice Showmanship, for members 9-11 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
CLASS 2 Junior Showmanship for members 12-14 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
CLASS 3 Intermediate showmanship for members 15-17 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
CLASS 4 Senior showmanship, for members 18-21 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
CLASS 5 Holstein Junior Heifer, for calves born after February 28, 2018.
CLASS 6 Holstein Intermediate Heifer, for calves born December 1st, 2017 to February 28, 2018
CLASS 7 Holstein Senior Heifer, for calves born September 1, 2017, to November 30, 2017
CLASS 8 Holstein Summer Yearling, for calves born June 1, 2017, to August 31, 2017.
CLASS 9 Holstein Junior Yearling, for calves born March 1, 2017, to May 31, 2017.
CLASS 10 Ayrshire Junior & Intermediate Heifer, for calves born after November 30, 2017.
CLASS 11 Ayrshire Senior Heifer, for calves born September 1, 2016, to November 30, 2017.
CLASS 12 Ayrshire Junior and Summer Yearling, for calves born March 1, 2017, to August 31, 2017.
CLASS 13 Jersey Junior, Intermediate & Senior Heifer, for calves born after August 31, 2017.
CLASS 14 Jersey Junior & Summer Yearling, for calves born March 1, 2015, to August 31, 2017.
** Please note: the coloured breed classes are subject to change depending on the size of the class.
1st – $20; 2nd – $18; 3rd – $16; 4th – $14; 5th – $12; 6th – $10
All other worthy entries – $8.
SPECIAL PRIZES AND TROPHIES
1. Grand Champion Showperson
2. Reserve Champion Showperson
3. Grand Champion Prescott County Showperson
4. Grand Champion Holstein Heifer
5. Reserve Champion Holstein Heifer
6. Grand Champion Prescott County Holstein Heifer
9. Grand Champion Coloured Breed Heifer
10. Reserve Champion Coloured Breed Heifer
11. Grand Champion Dairy Heifer
12. Reserve Champion Dairy Heifer
Note: Championship classes for Coloured Breeds may be combined if low numbers warrant this decision.
TIE STALL COMPETITION
Open to all clubs in the dairy heifer competition on Saturday, August 18th, 2018. To be eligible, the club exhibit must have a minimum of five calves. Exhibits will be judged throughout the day of the show for the appearance of exhibit and attitudes of participants.
1st – $30; 2nd – $20; 3rd – $10.
“Learn To Do By Doing”